March 4, 2010

Blue Mason Jars....

SO as I was getting ready this morning, I started looking around in our bathroom and realized "our bathroom is so ugly....".  No color, outdated vanity, it's just not pretty at all.  Then I ran (yes I actually ran...) out into the bedroom and watched Apolo Ohno on the Today Show.  He is SO gorgeous....  Anyways, back to my bathroom, it's ugly.  We have a towel rack with a hand towel on it that we don't even use.  So it got me thinking...."we should put a shelf there!".  At first I was thinking a white shelf, but then found some glasses shelves online I really like.  I have been looking at my Pottery Barn catalogs for a while now and remembered some of their pictures showing mason jars as decor and storage.  Then the little light bulb went off in my head....blue mason jars!  I LOVE colored glass (hence my obsession with cake stands).  I have seen a lot of blue mason jars at a few of my favorite antique shops, so that is my plan!  Here are a few pics which have "inspired" me.  I know what I'm doing this weekend.... :)


Isn't this bathroom gorgeous???  Oh Pottery Barn ......


I found this one on sale for $34.99.  Oh don't worry I will venture up to Target and Walmart to compare...


I REALLY like this one.  It's chunky.....love the little detailing....but of course it is not on sale...

Now onto Mason Jars:

really like these...LOVE the aqua blue....thought they would be perfect for storing my make-up brushes etc. 


I also like these cobalt blue jars but they may be too tall....and too dirty?


I love these huge antique pickling jars....but they would be too big...unless....


I get another shelf for the other wall in our bathroom....then I can place them on top? Still may be too big...
I just ADORE colored glass....


And now I want to rip out our vanity mirrow and put up a new mirror.
But I would probably like something more chunky and antique....of course....love the sconces!

I would also like to add a pop of color with a floral display either on the shelf.  Maybe some black/dark purple Calla Lilies.  Or maybe some fuchsia peonies or blue hydrangeas.  What do you think???  What do you think about all of this???  I would LOVE to hear your ideas! :)

There are LOTS of cute ideas as far as decorating with mason jars.  One of my favorite blogs, The Classic Bride used aqua vintage mason jars as centerpieces.  I love this website...lots of great ideas. :)

And for an outdoor wedding:  I love this idea!  Hanging mason jars (making them into lanterns) from trees and placing flowers into them.  SO pretty.  I will be doing this in my backyard as soon as my trees hurry up and bloom! :)  Who needs a wedding???


My house/yard is now going to be covered with mason jars.  I'm sure my husband is WAY excited....lol...he probably won't be when he has to run outside and take them off the trees when it gets super windy or a storm rolls through.....but at least it looks pretty right?!?!?! :)


Have a FABULOUS day!  Spring is almost here! :)
                                                                     

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, you are hilarious. I love mason jars anything, I didn't even know they had blue jars--how fun! I love those bathroom images you posted. So fresh and clean and chic! Love it...Have fun this weekend :)

Andrea @ The Dawley Fam said...

This will look great. I especially love the mason jars for outdoor lighting!

Nicole said...

Love the blue mason jars for the bathroom! Take pics once it's all said and done so we can see!

Michelle said...

Great ideas! If you want any clear jars, let me know! I still have a TON from my wedding. Once it stops raining, I'm planning to set some up outside with candles for night BBQs. I've thought about putting some in our bathroom with something colored in them but our bathroom is so small I think it will be too cluttered. We'll see.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I love those ideas! The jars hanging in the trees is great!

XOOX
Jen

Unknown said...

Andi- The aqua mason jars are SO pretty. My mom always used the clear ones to make jam. Didn't think they were "so cool" back then...Much fun to be had! :)

Thanks Andrea! Little tea lights in hanging mason jars will look so pretty! So magical... :) Or in the middle of an outdoor picnic table, very 60s "Sandlot" "Now and Then" vintage feel...love it. :)

Thanks Nicole! Oh don't worry I will post pics! Right after I go see Alice in Wonderland in my polka dot rain boots! :)

Thanks Michele! I just may have to take you up on that offer! I could totally see you having mason jars at your wedding. Lovely. I think you should try them in your bathroom, you never know. Or you can use them during your classes! Put tea lights in them and put them around the dance floor, dim the lights, and waltz to some Matt Monroe "Fly me to the moon" or "Moon River".

Thanks Jen! I'm so going to be that crazy neighbor with tons of mason jars hanging from my trees...lol...now I just need some pink flamingos and little pin wheels...(no offense to those with pink flamingos and pin wheels...)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have some great ideas going on there. I re-did my hall bath not long ago and used one of those glass shelves. I bought mine at Wal Mart for like 12.00. Yes indeed!

Unknown said...

OOOHHH $12.00 at Walmart!!! GO SUSIE! Thank you! :)

Jess said...

We have a shelf almost exactly like the first one you listed in our bathroom. We got it at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20 or $25 (plus you can use a 20% off coupon). I like the idea of the fuchsia peonies in the aqua jars- I think they would "pop" more!

Unknown said...

See Jess, that's why we are "cool like that"...I got my 20% off coupon in the mail so I will def. look there as well. And I think you are right on, fuchsia peonies would really pop! Thanks for the feedback chica! :)

Unknown said...

great display and uses for old ball jars

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time out to leave a comment! :)

 
CoffeeShop Designs